Sunday, February 05, 2006

It's Official (Myintrotoletuknow)

My name is Omar and here is a little bit of who i am...

I live in New York City, the upper west side of Manhattan born and raised. i'm 27 and Hip-Hop has been a part of my life since I was around 14. I have an older brother (by 6 years) with a rap collection on vinyl and he used to blast it in the house (to my mother's disdain) so i've been hearing the music on a regular basis since the late 80's when EPMD, for example, first came out. So I listen to his EPMD record, but throughout all this I don't have a connection to it. They're his records.

That all changed when I bought "The Low End Theory," by A Tribe Called Quest, on my own. I had gotten a handful of other rap albums before, but that Tribe album was the first to really open my mind to the fact that Hip-Hop was not just music. That landmark album set me up for the next - "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" by you know who. Now... I discovered Tribe when they had already made a name for themselves. But in '93, I was introduced to something with as much creative power and potential to impact the Hip-Hop culture. With the Wu-Tang Clan, I witnessed a great Hip-Hop force developing from the ground up.

And the great thing about it? I felt INVOLVED in that devlopment from that moment I witnessed its birth. From then on, I claimed the Hip-Hop culture as my own.

That's where I'm coming from. That being said, the focus of this blog doesn't fall squarely on Hip-Hop. I want to use this blog to show people how I view the world, and how I often express these views through "Hip-Hop" eyes, since Hip-Hop is the way I live my life. The issues will, of course, range. We have a "this-is-a-journal-anything-goes" type of deal as that's what defines a blog. I believe myself a private person, so I picture most of what I will say as in response to world and domestic events along with my thoughts on current issues than what goes on in my daily life, though I will have that also.

This is my first blog. I will try to make my entries once or twice a week. This blog is experimentation, "wait-and-see" and some fun. I want to develop it and watch it grow though I don't know how it will grow. We'll see.

That's it for now. Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Your links to Superdickery and Abortion aren't working.

Tue Feb 07, 03:22:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Omar said...

they are now.

Mon Feb 27, 09:57:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home