Sunday, March 26, 2006

I am... THE BAR MONITOR

My best friend Chris asked me if I wanted to make some extra money on a Saturday night. It involved monitoring bartenders at the Roxy club, making sure they asked the clubgoers for the wristbands that authorized them to buy drinks. I would only stay there and watch them for 4 hours. $80 easy; I said yes. I was assigned there by Chris's friend Lonnie who hired the monitors. If things went well, I could see myself doing this sort of thing every Saturday night. Hopefully though, it won't be at The Roxy... because every Saturday night is gay night.

The bartenders were mostly guys & mostly straight (that I knew of). There were two bars - one in the front and in the back. I monitored with this cool guy named Ross and he oriented me with how to carry out the job. He took the front bar which was busier with about five/six bartenders. I hung in the back with two - Julio & Luis (both straight). They were cool too, making me feel welcome while we cracked gay jokes for most of my time there. They told me about how a good number of all male dancers out there, especially the ones at Roxy that night, are straight also. They definately made alot of money, we all agreed, but there was no way any of us would do it unless it involved an obscene amount of money.

J & J had to feel some of that heat due to them having to work shirtless. It was mandatory after midnight. They felt glad of their barstand acting as a barrier, as Julio told me. If it wasn't for that, they would feel those hands on them through the night. I then told them that as no one would catch me dead as a dancer (I don't even have the body for it), I wouldn't be caught dead participating in a two-guys-on-one-girl deal. Don't like the idea of "crossing swords" (as it was said in an episode of Entourage). They said that, while with a girl, they don't want a guy tripping off any of their five senses. We all laughed.

There were girls there, as you'ld expect - they come with the homos (I use that word as a term of endearment). They come to dance & not to have straight men bother them, we all assume, but J & J tell me these girls just don't want the straights to overwhelm them. But it's alright when you're one of the only straights with a shitload of complimentary drink tickets. And it also doesn't hurt when you can take your shirt off like these bartenders can. Those tickets can get you pretty damn far when you have the connections to get them. You should see what Chris can do with his.

Before we left Roxy, Ross told me he got hit on by two of the male patrons as he stood at the busier barstand, next to the dancehall entrance in the middle of all that incoming/outgoing traffic. Fortunately, I didn't get hit on by the men. Unfortunately, I didn't get hit on by any of the women either. An interesting night, nevertheless.

I'll get paid this Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home